Learning how to access the metaverse seems like it’d be a hard task. There are numerous metaverse platforms and devices to choose from. In this guide, you’ll learn exactly how to enter the metaverse regardless of which platform or device you’re using.
Table of Contents
How to Access the Metaverse
1. Get a computer with internet
There are a ton of gadgets you can use to enhance your metaverse exploration. But, they aren’t required to access the metaverse. All your really need is a decent computer and a solid internet connection.
Some platforms will even let you access their world with a phone. However, I highly recommend using a computer for the best experience.
Of course, if you are looking to completely immerse yourself in the metaverse then you should consider grabbing yourself an affordable pair of VR goggles.
2. Choose a metaverse platform
Next, all you need to do is choose a metaverse platform to access. It’s hard to believe that there are already numerous metaverse worlds to choose from. Some of the most popular metaverse include Somnium Space, Decentraland, Cryptovoxels, Worldwide Webb, and The Sandbox.
In many of the metaverses, you don’t have to create an account to begin exploring. But, if you want the full experience you will have to create an account.
The full experience includes buying, selling, and creating digital assets, real estate, and other virtual goods, as well as partaking in virtual events like games, concerts, and conferences.
3. Enter the metaverse and explore various virtual worlds
At first, the metaverse is a lot to take in. I suggest starting with one world before moving on to the next one. This will allow you to get used to the controls and different functions you can utilize in the metaverse.
Things that aren’t possible in the real world, like teleportation, are applicable in the metaverse. So, it can take some time to understand how it works. Once you have a solid understanding of one metaverse world, then you can begin to explore other platforms and decide which one you prefer from there.
I spent one afternoon exploring Cryptovoxels, for example, and by the time I was finished exploring, I felt like I was experienced enough to be a virtual tour guide. So, if you feel discouraged at first, don’t worry, take your time to get to know the landscape.
How to Access the Metaverse on Andriod
You can explore the metaverse on your Andriod device by searching for mobile-compatible worlds in Google Play. Mobile-friendly worlds include Cryptovoxels and The Sandbox. Also, you can access Somnium Space on your mobile device without downloading an app by visiting the website.
As the metaverse gains popularity, more use cases, and becomes more efficient, we are likely to see additional worlds become available on Andriod devices.
Until then, the options are limited. But, it’s still better than nothing, right?
How to Access the Metaverse on Oculus
If you are looking to immerse yourself completely into the metaverse, then you might be wondering how to join the metaverse using your Oculus device.
To access the metaverse using your Oculus headset follow the steps below.
- Step 1. Turn on your headset and put it on. To get started exploring the metaverse in virtual reality, make sure your Oculus headset is fully charged and connected to the internet. Once it’s ready to go, put it on to ensure it’s a snug fit.
- Step 2: Visit the Oculus Store and download a metaverse. It’s important to note that certain worlds can be accessed directly through the Oculus Store, while others can only be accessed via the world’s website.
You can download the following metaverse worlds directly from the Oculus Store.
- Horizon Worlds
- Horizon Venues
- AltSpace VR
- Rec Room
- Step 3: Open the Oculus App Drawer to access your downloaded worlds. Open your Oculus App drawer to view your installed apps on the screen. Next, press your trigger to select the app and wait until it opens up. Now you can begin exploring whichever world you downloaded.
Some of the most popular metaverse worlds can’t be accessed through the Oculus Store. So, you have to follow specific instructions to enter these worlds. Below I provide step-by-step instructions to access some of the most popular metaverse platforms.
How to Access Decentraland Metaverse
Below are step-by-step instructions to play Decentraland on your Oculus device. If you prefer to watch a video, I’ll leave one below as well.
- Step 1: Apply for a developer profile by visiting developer.oculus.com. Login using the same account used to access your Oculus device. Then, go to ‘My Apps’ and confirm your account by either entering your phone number, setting up 2FA, or add a credit card.
- Step 2: Press ‘Back to Home’ and enter an organization. You can enter anything here such as your name. Next, check ‘I Understand’ and hit Submit to agree to the terms and conditions.
- Step 3: Enable Developer Mode on your device. On the Oculus app for your phone, go to Menu, Devices, Developer Mode, and enable the feature.
- Step 4: Download SideQuest. Go to sidequestvr.com and select the ‘Get Sidequest’ tab. Only download the Advanced Installer. Note there are options for both Windows and Mac computers. Once downloaded, open the file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Step 5: Power on your Oculus and connect it to your computer. Using a USB-3 Type C cable, connect your Oculus device to your computer. It should automatically detect the SideQuest software. Put on your headset and accept the terms displayed on your device.
- Step 6: Download Oculus ADB Drivers. If your Oculus device doesn’t automatically detect the ADB drivers, visit developer.oculus.com to download it manually. Then, follow the steps on-screen to download it.
- Step 7: Install the Decentraland App. Visit the App Center to install the Decentraland App. Once installed, go to SideQuest with your Oculus still connected and press the box with an arrow. Next, choose the app you just downloaded and wait for it to install.
- Step 8: Go to your App Library to launch Decentraland on your Oculus. Go to your App Library on your Oculus device and filter by ‘Unknown Sources’ and find Decentrland VR to launch the app. You can either ‘Play as guest’ or ‘Play using your wallet’. To play using your wallet you must have the Metamask wallet app installed on your phone. Then scan the QR code on your Oculus using your phone to play using your wallet.
How to Access Somnium Space
- Step 1: Download the Oculus App on your computer. Visit the Oculus website to download the app onto your computer. Once downloaded, connect your headset to your computer.
- Step 2: Download SteamVR and the Somnium Space Client. Next, download SteamVR and the Somnium Space PC Client.
- Step 3: Put on your headset to Allow access to the data. Make sure your headset remains connected to your computer when allowing access. Next, go to Oculus Link, then select SteamVR. You will be teleported to the Welcome Room. From there, you want to launch Somnium Space from your computer.
- Step 4: Set up your Avatar and change any settings. Using your computer you will need to customize your avatar and change any settings. Then once you’re ready, double-click ‘VR’ to enter Somnium Space on your Oculus headset.
How to Access Cryptovoxels Metaverse
Step 1: Connect your headset to your computer. Ensure your headset is powered on and connected to your computer before moving on to the next step.
Step 2: Download SideQuest. Go to sidequestvr.com and select the ‘Get Sidequest’ tab. You can download the Easy Installer for a quick setup. Once downloaded, open the file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 3: Install Cryptovoxels APK Side Client. Once SideQuest is installed, download the Cryptovoxels side client. Then, with SideQuest running and your Quest still connected, install the APK file via the install icon.
Step 4: Launch the Cryptovoxels Alpha Client on your computer. To access Cryptovoxels on your headset, you have to launch the alpha client via the Apps Menu from your computer. From there, tap the gear icon next to “com.nolan.cryptovoxels”. Next, click the ‘Launch App’ button to launch Cryptovoxels on your headset.
Notably, this version of Cryptovoxels is still in beta testing. As a result, you will have limited functionality. Once complete, the official app will launch on the Oculus App Lab and it will be much easier to use on your virtual reality device.
What Do I Need to Access the Metaverse?
To access the metaverse you only need a computer and a good internet connection. Some metaverse allows you to enter with just a mobile phone but expect a subpar experience. To enhance your experience, you can use a VR device such as the Oculus Quest in combination with your computer.
That said, some of the metaverse worlds require other tools to access all of their features. Below are some things you should consider getting before entering the metaverse.
- Web3 wallet
- Virtual reality headset
If you don’t want to invest the time or money in the tools listed above, no worries, you can start by visiting the various platforms before deciding if you want to invest further.
Is the Metaverse Free?
Most metaverse worlds are free to enter. It’s similar to joining a social media platform. With that, you will need to pay for internet and a computer or phone to access most platforms. For a more immersive experience, you might want to invest in a virtual reality headset.
Currently, there aren’t any subscription fees for accessing the metaverse. But that doesn’t mean you won’t have to spend some money to access it. Below are some additional costs to consider before entering the metaverse.
Data connection charge
To gain access to the metaverse, you have to access the internet first. So in a way, the metaverse isn’t free any more than the internet is. You will have to spend money on a stable internet connection. Remember, you are paying for accessing the internet, not the metaverse.
You can venture into the metaverse with an average internet connection. But for some advanced applications, you will need faster connections and networking devices like gigabit routers, etc.
You don’t necessarily need VR devices to experience the metaverse. But for a fully immersive experience, a VR headset is a must. As you already know, these devices can be quite expensive.
Consumer-level VR headsets are becoming more affordable every day. But the thing is that they are nowhere near as powerful as the more expensive ones. Also, top-quality VR headsets require high-powered computers to run properly. So you have to spend money on multiple fronts.
You may have already spent money on all these devices without even thinking of using the metaverse. But if you think about the standalone cost of enjoying a complete metaverse experience, the expenditure can be substantial.
Digital currency (cryptocurrency)
The metaverse is free. But to access some of its features, you will need to spend digital currency, which you can obtain by spending real-life currency. The digital currency (cryptocurrency) needed depends on the metaverse you are in.
Digital currency is used to buy land and enjoy many other amenities. But all of those will cost money. To sum it all up, entering the metaverse is free to a degree.
Below is a list of the most popular metaverses along with their native cryptocurrencies.
|Metaverse||Native Digital Currency||Compatible Crypto Wallet|
|Decentraland||MANA||Metamask / Ledger|
|Cryptovoxels||ETH||Metamask / Ledger|
|Somnium Space||CUBE||Metamask / Ledger|
|The Sandbox||SAND||Metamask / Ledger|
|Worldwide Webb||ETH||Metamask / Ledger|
To purchase any of these cryptocurrencies, all you need is a crypto wallet, like Metamask, and a trusted exchange like Coinbase. Then, using Coinbase you can purchase your cryptocurrency of choice and transfer it to your Metamask wallet where you will be able to use it in the metaverse.
What Are the Best Metaverse Platforms?
Decentraland‘s major goal is to make it easy to own LAND, or virtual real estate. It’s built on the Ethereum blockchain, with all assets stored as NFTs. You can still explore this metaverse even if you don’t want to spend money on it.
For a fully interactive experience, you will have to spend at least some money in the form of an investment or something else.
Cryptovoxels is a user-owned VR environment built on the Ethereum blockchain, similar to how municipalities control the road and the general public owns the land in real-life towns. The roads of the original city are owned by the company, and individuals own the land via NFTs.
In addition to exploring Origin City—the main city in Cryptovoxels—players can use the in-game voxel builder to make, buy, and sell virtual assets. You may then trade your assets on an NFT platform like OpenSea to earn a living.
Somnium Space has built a virtual reality universe with its very own currency. It is available in two dimensions on any device, as well as in virtual reality on both smartphones and pc.
Somnium Space has the ability to track user engagement, conversion rates, etc. This unique metaverse world values its community by hosting frequent events and communicating often on its Social pages.
The Sandbox, like VR Chat, was designed to be a smartphone game. Later, it was purchased by another business that turned it into a voxel-based blockchain game. The users of this metaverse can build their own monetizable goods.
Using blockchain technology, users can create a variety of digital assets (NFTs). You can also win money by playing games designed by others. Many people are drawn to this metaverse since it caters to both artists and consumers.
Mark Zuckerberg’s platform offers an immersive and embodied internet experience that enables you to live inside the internet.
By using technologies like VR and AR through the lens of smart glasses, users can work, learn, play, shop, and create in a virtual ecosystem.
Currently, Facebook’s metaverse (aka Meta) currently offers two popular virtual platforms that are available via the Oculus Quest. Both Horizon Worlds and Horizon Venues allow users to interact with each other in various worlds.
Is the Metaverse Safe?
The metaverse lacks safety considering there is no age assurance. This means children are at risk of being exposed to potentially mature environments, users, and content that aren’t suited for them. That said, the metaverse is equally as safe as the internet and other online social platforms.
Besides the safety of our children, there are several other cons of the metaverse that are worth considering before signing on.
Below are some cons and potential safety issues of the metaverse.
- Negative impact on cultures and societies
- Addiction problems
- Losing connection with the physical world
- Privacy and security issues
- Mental health issues
- Digital bullying
- Lack of moderation
- Connection and hardware issues
- Corporate takeover
Keep in mind that the metaverse is still in its infancy, and people like Mark Zuckerberg are investing hundreds of millions of dollars into building the foundation of a strong and functional metaverse economy.
The metaverse isn’t one singular world, rather, it is multiple platforms that are to be explored separately. I do believe that eventually, within the next 5 to 10 years, the various metaverse worlds will be interconnected. But until then, you can have a lot of fun and even make a lot of money in the metaverse.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the metaverse?
The metaverse is an alternate virtual reality universe full of shared 3D spaces and various activities that exist even when you aren’t exploring them.
How do I access the metaverse?
To access the metaverse simply choose a metaverse to explore and create an account. Popular metaverses include Decentraland, Cryptovoxels, Somnium Space, and The Sandbox.
What can I do in the metaverse?
In the metaverse you can attend virtual events and interact with other avatars. Also, you can build structures, create games, host your own events, and earn money.